Over 5K New Coronavirus Circumstances Reported In LA County On Thanksgiving – CBS Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) – More than 5,000 new coronavirus cases were recorded in Los Angeles County on Thanksgiving Day.
The LA County Health Department reported Thursday that there were an additional 5,087 cases, bringing the county’s total since the pandemic started to 383,275.
There were also another 37 new deaths from the disease. The county has a COVID-19 death toll of 7,580.
Nationwide hospital admissions for COVID-19 were 1,809, up from 1,682 on Wednesday. Of these, 24% of the patients were in intensive care beds.
Dr. Christina Ghaly, LA county health director, said Wednesday that hospital admissions had increased 70% in the past two weeks. The district currently has an average of 300 new admissions per day. Given the current rate of transmission, Ghaly warned that the number of hospital beds, especially those in intensive care units, would likely run short in the next two to four weeks.
RELATED: Whittier City Council Officially Turns Down LA County Dining Ban
Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases, many Angelenos are spending Thanksgiving a little differently this year. Tonya Esparza grew up with a large family to celebrate holidays, but this year she is alone.
“I grew up in a big family so my mom’s Thanksgiving table would have 25 people!” She said. “I’m sad that I won’t see everyone in my family, but I looked forward to spending this time with my husband’s immediate family. So I’m not disappointed at all. “
That seemed to be an issue across Southland – smaller birds and smaller tables.
“We were tested. We’re all COVID-safe and it’s going to be a little Thanksgiving Day, but a blessed one, “said Gabrielle Carteris.
“I’m sad this year because I can’t have my whole family on Thanksgiving,” said Grace Forester.
Some have even settled outside.
“We eat outside on the deck just to keep them fresh,” said Larry Teng.
There were many last minute shoppers in the grocery store, like Madeleine and Sam Hall. The brother and sister duo usually flew to Kentucky to visit their family, but decided not to because of the coronavirus.
“We bought stuffing and mashed potatoes and green beans and fried chicken!” Said Madeleine.
The five-day average of new cases in LA County earlier this week was over 4,500, a threshold that is expected to trigger a new order for safer homes soon. Dr. Barbara Ferrer, LA County’s director of public health, said this week the appointment would not include any public or private gatherings of people who are not in the same household. substantial retail up to 20% capacity.
A controversial new personal eating ban went into effect Wednesday in LA County and will last at least three weeks. It limits all restaurants to only offer take-out, drive-through, and delivery services. As in recent months, restaurants are no longer allowed to serve their guests outdoors.
Only the city of Pasadena, which has its own health department, is exempt from the ban.
The ban on eating outdoors is in addition to a curfew imposed by California health officials from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. for all 41 purple counties, including all counties in Southern California. It will last at least until December 21st. LA County extended the curfew by one hour to 6 a.m.
According to the regulation, all gatherings, movements and non-essential work between these hours are now allowed. However, residents are allowed to do things like go to the grocery store or drugstore, take their pets for a walk, or pick them up to take away.
(© Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All rights reserved. City News Service contributed to this report.)
Comments are closed.