SUNY Athletic Convention spring sports activities to renew in March
(WBNG) – SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras announced on Tuesday that spring sports at the SUNY Athletic Conference will resume on March 20 with certain restrictions.
Lacrosse, baseball, softball, tennis and athletics are in season in the spring.
The spring sports plan was put together by campus presidents, track and field directors, coaches, and health directors.
The plan includes the following restrictions:
- The conference will be divided into the East / West region to limit travel and overnight stays
- Masks worn by athletes, coaches and officials at all times, except by athletes during competition or active training
- No spectators as per New York State Department of Health guidelines
- Regular weekly tests / COVID symptom checks before the competition
- Before the street games, the athletes are tested within three days of departure
- No food, masks worn on buses for travel; Bus capacity reduced to 50 percent
- No handshakes, group parties, or before or after interacting with the opposing team
The SUNY Chancellor’s office says any COVID-19 outbreak could delay or pause outbreaks.
Malatras says his office will “aggressively handle” all COVID-19 situations if they arise during the spring sports season.